Pre-writing this one so last month's problem won't recur!
Anyway...
September 2 question - Do you have a favorite character archetype you tend to gravitate toward in your writing?
Hmm.
Not sure if I'd say there's any archetype, as such. I do tend towards characters that are either filled with doubt in themselves or who are convinced they are absolutely always right about everything...or who vacillate between those two positions.
I fear that's less an archetype and more just a reflection of myself. 😰
I've noticed I also have trouble writing people who are unapologetic. (Like to the extent that in my extensive amount of MDZS fanfic, I frequently find myself writing the hero, Wei Wuxian, as apologizing for things, even though it's a literal plot point in the original novel that he never apologizes for anything (until a certain time when the problem with his behavior is hammered into his skull, but even after that he almost never apologizes). As long as I notice before I post a fic, I can always change it to get rid of the inappropriate apologies, but...ugh, it's a problem.)
Atalanta, the heroine of my Greek mythology novels, apologizes a lot, and also has huge doubts in herself. Well, no, actually it's more like she has a negative character arc over the series: she goes from being all "ha ha, I'm the daughter of Achilles, and I'm gonna kick your butt!" to "I'm just a worthless runaway slave, how could I dare think of myself as the daughter of a demigod?" despite that by the end she's been acknowledged as Achilles' daughter by her grandmother and an assortment of Olympian gods, and she's battled defeated various supernatural forces, some of them divine-adjacent. (She also fights against an actual Babylonian god in book four, but she's not the one who defeats him, so...)
Tch. As usual, I find I have nothing much to say.
Oh well.
Anyway, I got the email about posting links to any books we have on sale, but I make it a point not to sell my writing because my writing is not worth anyone else's money, so there's nothing I can do about that. I'll try to remember next week (ie the day this post goes up) to buy the books of some of the other people in the group, though!

No comments:
Post a Comment