Thursday, September 3, 2026

Reading Record 29

     So, I have to start this post with a statement of the most extreme stupidity.  I finished reading this book about midday on Tuesday, but my brain immediately said "ah, rats, I'll have to wait and post tomorrow morning, because otherwise it'll muddle up the IWSG post."  Because for some reason I thought it was Wednesday.  And then the next morning, as I was getting up, I thought about the post I had put off and realized "oh no, today is Wednesday!"  Meaning that I could have posted straight away, and because I had waited I had to wait another full day.

    Because I am a total freaking moron, apparently.  :<


    Anyway.

    What is not stupid is the book I finished reading on Tuesday.  The book in question is The Once and Future Sex:  Going Medieval on Women's Roles in Society by Eleanor Janega.  It caught my eye when I was passing by the History section in the bookstore, and I picked it up especially because I'm thinking of writing a game for the Queer Medieval Jam on itch.io that runs from September 1st to December 1st.  (Assuming I can ever finish my current project of getting the revamped text of The Golden God of Aiolia released.  Which is constantly becoming a longer and longer process because every time I look at the text I find more problems I missed the previous times...)

    Uh.  But setting my own stuff aside and getting back to the book I read.

    This book is an intensive study into the actual facts of how women lived in the Middle Ages, setting aside the myths that have been repeated so often in virtually everything.

    Probably the part that comes across most strongly is the fact that women have always worked.  Not just domestically (a particularly hard work that cannot be denied in pretty much any era), but also out of the house.  It's just that people of the Middle Ages didn't talk much about women working.  Partially because they didn't entirely think of women as being people, and partially because they didn't think anything of it, because things had always been that way.

    Anyway.  Incredible book (although some of it was naturally infuriating, because Medieval 'philosophy' was horrifically misogynistic), one which everyone should read.


    Original language:  English

No comments:

Post a Comment