Wednesday, November 8, 2023

NotNaNo '23, Day 8: I had something I wanted to say....

     I definitely did have something I wanted to say in this post.

    Something about what I've written over the last couple of days.

    And I have totally, utterly forgotten what it was.  😭


    It's, like, beyond pathetic.


    Oh well.


    Main thing is, I got a lot written today.


    Oh!

    Bookmarks!

    That's what it was!

    Right, so I put bookmarks in my Word files.  One at the beginning of each scene.  So I can jump right to scenes and double-check what I wrote, or whatever.  (It's especially necessary on a work like this one that's so ludicrously long that I literally forget what I've already written.  I wrote some five or six hundred words (at minimum) the other day that will have to be edited out in the next draft because it turned out the characters already knew what they were debating about.  Wait, I feel like I already posted about that...?)

    After a while of experimenting on how best to handle what to call the bookmarks, I settled on a thing of always naming them with numbers so they're in order.  "sc02_they_meet" "sc03_enemy_attack" etc, like that.  This thing is so long that I ended up going into the 100s on the bookmarks, meaning I had to go back and rename all of the ones leading up to 100, because otherwise it would put sc100 right after sc10.  Which is obviously not acceptable for a lot of reasons!  🤣  Of course, you can't just rename a bookmark in Word; you have to place a new one in the same spot with the modified name and then delete the old one.  Pain in the butt.  😰  But I did it anyway, over about three or four days.  (This was months ago, of course; I'm up to scene 141 or so by now.)

    Anyway, what I wanted to say about the bookmarks was mostly just that on days like today, when I get really in the zone, I end up starting multiple scenes without remembering to put bookmarks on them, so then I have to go back and do several bookmarks at once.  Which is annoying, but on the other hand it means I was really getting my story told, so... 🤷🏻‍♀️


    Numbers time!

    Total words in document:  281,546

    Words written today:  9,197

    Words written in November to date:  31,546


    Pretty version:



No comments:

Post a Comment