Thursday, November 19, 2020

Not-NaNo Day19: Oops

 Soooo, yeah, it's not that I forgot to post my time yesterday.

It's that I didn't actually spend any time working on any of my writing projects yesterday.

I did try to!  I booted up the computer, looked over my notes on the cast and plot of Love Allergy...and completely felt nothing.  No impetus to write.  No sense of who the characters were or what I wanted from telling the story.  Not even a good idea for precisely how to begin the text, even though I know the situation and participants of the first scene.

Basically, I'm suddenly questioning whether I'll really write it.  I had envisioned it as a big "screw you" to the asexual-denying otome game I saw on the Switch store, but...that's kind of...petty.  Which isn't to say I haven't written things for petty reasons before, but generally there I had a sense of who I was writing about, etc.  So maybe it's still gonna happen, but maybe it's not.

Instead, I just took yesterday off.

This morning, I did spend some time working on the full rewrite/game-adaptation of the novel that I'm tentatively retitling The Walls of Troy.  Got through the prologue, but then I had to stop because the final version of the next part wasn't on my good (which is to say roughly fifteen-year-old) laptop, and my battery was dying anyway.

So, I've copied the final version off this computer onto a flashdrive, and will get back to work on that soon, but...I probably need to start out doing actual work first.

Y'see, I've finally gotten a proofreading job!  Yay!

Unfortunately, it's an unpaid proofreading job, but I look at as "something I can put on my CV to prove that a) I'm not just lazing around my house playing video games and b) actual professional experience as a proofreader, which puts me one step closer to getting paid proofreading gigs."

So, before I get back to my writing (not-NaNo notwithstanding) I need to put in some hours working on the actual work I've promised to someone else.  (Fortunately, they don't need it until December, and there's only about 80 pages, so I have time.  Still, I'm hoping to get through about ten pages today, which I can then send back to them tomorrow.  This may be highly naïve of me.  We'll just have to see how things progress.

Anyway, speaking of not-NaNo, I only got in about an hour and a half today, and I was about half an hour ahead the day before, so I'm basically caught up to where I should have been yesterday.  (Unless I decide to cut my desired hour count from 60 to 45 or 30.  In which case I'd be fine and dandy for reaching 45, and already past it for 30.)  I should be able to catch up, as long as the proofreading doesn't take too long, and/or I don't spend too much time playing video games.  *cough*

Total time in November to date:  35:53:18.21

No comments:

Post a Comment