Friday, November 20, 2020

Not-NaNo Day 20: I'm not sure if it's "Already Day 20?!" or "Only Day 20?!"

 To quote myself, yesterday:

Still, I'm hoping to get through about ten pages today, which I can then send back to them tomorrow.  This may be highly naïve of me. 

O.M.G.

That was so far beyond naïve.  Like, words cannot describe how far beyond. 

Last night, in an hour and a half, I got through two pages.

This morning, in two hours, I hit my stride a bit better (or perhaps was just more prepared going in) and I got through three pages.  Which doesn't sound like much of an improvement, but it was at least some improvement.

I mean, I knew going in that the text was written in English by someone whose native language was not English.  And I've played badly translated visual novels before.  So I knew the kinds of things I was going to be seeing.

But I hadn't realized just how long it takes to leave correcting notes on every single one of those problems!  Especially the ones where it's not completely clear what word they actually wanted to use.  Those are real time drains.

Still, it's good experience, and I'm getting to really improve the final product of this person's game, so that's a great thing.

It is, however, going to have a serious impact on my own writing projects.  It's hard to get really into my own writing after going through that.

I did get about an hour done today, though.  Most of it, surprisingly, on the opening of Love Allergy after all.  Because guess what?  It turns out that my roughly fifteen-year-old, internet-free, writing-only laptop is so old that it can't play my TWINE game. :P  (Which I thought surely it would be able to, since it's an .html thing.)  Anyway, because of that, I had to set it aside until I could boot up this laptop and copy-paste the text into a new Word document to transfer over to the other computer.  And so I ended up working on Love Allergy after all.

I'm not at all sure if I'm taking it in the right direction.  I feel like I may have made the heroine a bit too much like myself.  And a twenty-year-old college junior should not be as jaded and cynical as a forty-five-year-old misanthrope like myself, whose misanthropy has only been heightened by seeing just how vile some people are behaving in the midst of a freaking global pandemic.  (Which isn't to say that there haven't been a lot of examples of people pulling together to help each other.  There have been a lot of those, but most of them were at the start of the pandemic, and now it seems like there are more and more anti-mask idiots out there who insist that it's all some kind of sick conspiracy, despite how many hundreds of thousands have died.  Seriously, what has to be wrong with a person that they could believe anyone would lie about something like that?)

Anyway, tomorrow I'll be able to get back to work on The Walls of Troy, so Love Allergy will probably be set aside.  (Probably.  At this point, I know better than to make any firm statements about anything.)

Total time in November to date:  37:02:16.36

No comments:

Post a Comment