Monday, November 2, 2020

Not-NaNo Day Two: Nothing to Report

 Of course, the thing about having to post daily to update my status on the Not-NaNo progress is that there isn't actually usually anything for me to post about.

I almost did the full two hours today that I was thinking I probably want to do, which still puts me an hour behind.  (I likely would have done more if I hadn't had to do things like stop for lunch.  Also to log onto the computer to make sure that my payment went through to the sewer district, 'cause they called me to say "oh, you're still late on your payment!" even though I knew I had already paid it (and according to my bank's site, the payment went through today) and other tedious things like that.)

I will probably either end up making up the difference and then some tomorrow or fall further behind.  Depends what happens when I get back from the polls.  (I know, I should have already voted, but the creep in charge of my state's election board sent out this smarmy notice about all the ways you can vote with this big, bolded statement of "Make sure your vote counts!" beside Nov. 3 at the polls, with the not-so-subtle implication that he's going to do everything in his power to throw out every single vote cast in every other way.  And this election is too important for my vote to get pitched out by a corrupt creep.  So I have to risk my life going to the polls tomorrow.  (And no, that's not an exaggeration.  I have asthma and am in generally not great health, plus being obese, so if I get it, it's over.))  I may want to immerse myself in writing fiction as escapism, or I may huddle on my brother's couch to escape into watching something as escapism, or...who knows.  I'm trying not to think about it right now because there's not really anything I can do at this point.

Anyway, I guess I never did talk about the other game I'd like to make someday.  It wouldn't be very writing heavy, though, so I'd have to be working with at least one other person and probably at least two, and I'd write the text and then they'd do the art and actual game design.  Because the other game would be a Metroidvania with quasi-rogue-lite elements.  (And if you don't understand those words, probably best to just skip the rest of this post.  I'm about to go all weird and gamery.)

See, I was messing around with the Randomizer Mode in Bloodstained, rather than play something new, because it was less likely to grab me and tear me away from my writing.  And when I took Miriam in to get a haircut, I noticed the short twintails hairstyle, and without even thinking about it, I was suddenly making the main hair color a very pale blonde, and the tips blue, then heightening the red and black in her costume, making her almost-but-not-quite Harley Quinn....and then it hit me that it would be so freaking cool to have a co-op Metroidvania with Harley and Poison Ivy as the main characters.

Now, obviously, that would never happen for real.  But an indie game with a hyperactive female clown and a plant-controlling lady who are in no way or shape possibly even slightly connected to said copyrighted characters...*cough*cough*...no problem there, right? ;P

So, yeah, that's the Metroidvania I want to write.  Specifically, the not-actually-Harley character and the not-actually-Ivy character are lovers, and you start out in control of one, trying to rescue the other from...uh...whoever the bad guy is (haven't got that far in my very idle conjectures yet) and whenever you lose all your health, then she gets captured, but guess what?  Her girlfriend had managed to escape, and so she has to go right back in to try and rescue the one who was trying to rescue her in the first place!  And so on, so that every time you want to swap characters, you have to get KO'd first.  (Obviously, that would mean that you wouldn't want any completely game-breaking differences between them.  Maybe one is a little faster and the other a little tougher or something, but both would have to have equivalent abilities in terms of movements, attacks, etc.  So while the not-actually-Ivy would be able to use a thorn whip to swing on posts or pull herself up to higher levels or whatever, the not-actually-Harley would have, I dunno, like springs in her boots or something, something to achieve the same results but in a different way.)

Not-NaNo time in November to date: 3:51:18.62

No comments:

Post a Comment