Saturday, November 21, 2020

Not-NaNo Day 21: Slight Progress

 So, the good news is that I finished the first section of that game I'm proofreading, and can send it back to the person whose game it is.  And I got about an hour of work done on The Walls of Troy.  (Though so far I haven't found any more places to put in any interactivity, which may become a slight problem.  Well, okay, no, technically I don't have to add in any interactivity:  it can just remain a book.  But I feel like the people who started following me on itch.io after The Cousins went up probably want to see the rest as a game, not a novel... (I am, btw, totally squeeing inside that people actually want to read the rest of the story!))

Anyway, the bad(?) news is that I got like zero hours of sleep last night.

About, I dunno, eleven o'clock last night, when I should have been winding down and getting my brain ready to shut off for the day, I heard this noise from outside.  It was like the noise when a bird decides to perch on the screen of my new window (seriously, they do that), only much, much, much more so.  Also longer and moving.

Best I can figure, there was something trying to jump from the tree to my roof (probably a raccoon, but we also have opossums in this area) and didn't quite make the jump, and ended up trying to grab hold of the screen to keep from completely falling straight down to the ground.  (I meant to go outside and check for damage to the screen today, but...well, it was cold and raining all day and I really didn't feel like getting out of my pajamas.  Because I am the queen of lazy slobs.)

Of course, when I heard that noise, I ran over and turned on the light just inside that window, to scare whatever it was away, without even pausing my game.  (Yes, yes, I was playing video games at eleven o'clock at night.  As I said, queen of lazy slobs.)

And then I left the light on.

All night.

I don't sleep very well with the lights on.  (I should probably get a sleep mask, but I don't think I'd sleep very well with one of those on my face, either.)

So while I did drift in and out of sleep (I know because in order to keep myself from thinking stuff that will keep me awake, I have to have some show I know really well streaming all night long, so any time I'm awake I can just focus on it until my brain gives up and lets me sleep), I didn't get more than maybe two hours at a time, and probably not even that much.

Which is why I actually thought I wasn't going to get anything accomplished today at all.  In fact, as soon as I got up and turned the light off this morning, I kind of contemplated trying to go right back to sleep.  If I hadn't had that proofreading job hanging over my head, I probably would have gone straight back to bed, in fact.

And when I finished with Animal Crossing and proofreading, it was almost lunch time, and my initial attempt to work on either The Walls of Troy or Love Allergy proved entirely fruitless, so I was completely ready to write the day off as one in which I got no work done on my own projects.

Then I decided to take a bath mid-afternoon (because by that time I was awake enough that I was pretty sure I wouldn't fall asleep in the tub) and while I was in the tub, I found myself thinking about how to handle the next stage of the story in The Walls of Troy, since the way they took ship from Methymna in the original book and the way they do in the new game version are completely incompatible with each other.  I not only came up with a pretty good way of handling it, I came up with new fake names for them to travel under while they're claiming to be boys.  (Though their pretense at being boys is complicated by the fact that they basically have to claim to be eunuchs, because boys whose voices haven't broken yet wouldn't be allowed out by themselves.  At least, not if Mycenaeans had the same policies in that regards as the Greeks of the historic period.)

So, end result, I actually got some pretty good stuff written today--well, okay, maybe "pretty good" is an exaggeration, but it's at least decent, and way better than the original version was--and made sufficient progress on the proofreading, despite no sleep.  I'm pretty chuffed about the end results, but I'm not going to be avoiding sleep in the future on the assumption that it improves my work results! :P

Total time spent on my projects in November to date:  38:07:06.77

No comments:

Post a Comment