Friday, November 13, 2020

Not-NaNo Day 13: Coding is time-consuming!

 Not that what I did today was just coding, of course.  I also gave one last round of edits to the glossary entries.  And had to re-order them because I decided to handle the list of them on the page about the same way I did for The Cousins.

As you can (maybe) see in this screen capture from the glossary for The Cousins, I have the entries in three columns, listed alphabetically across the screen, rather than going alphabetically down one column, then down the next, then down the next.  The latter method would have been easy to do, but I feel like it wouldn't have looked as good, and it definitely wouldn't have been as easy to use.  (Or maybe it would?  I dunno.)

But doing it this way required me to go through and change the order of the entries, listing all the ones for the first column, then the ones for the second column, etc.  And that takes a while, especially when you're also coding them as you go!  (Also, I accidentally skipped over one.  But thankfully it was one that I doubt anyone was going to click on anyway, because Attica is not really an obscure concept.  And anyone who really needs to know what it is can always Google it or go to Wikipedia or whatever.)

The way the glossary for Are You A Better General Than Agamemnon? is going to work is that when you click on the name of the entry, a text box will pop up giving you the actual entry.  It's not the most efficient way to do it, probably, and may well throw players for a bit of a loop, but I did not want to have to make new passages for all those entries!  The downside of the pop-ups, of course, is that the pop-ups don't have scroll bars, so I had to cut some of the entries down.  (Fortunately, there was only one that looked to be losing important information, and I was able to just split that into two separate entries.)

But I got them all organized and coded and ready for insertion into the game!  Yay!

And it only took me three and a half hours!

(OMG, what am I doing with my life?)

Tomorrow, I'll have to actually insert it into the game, and then actually, you know, add a way to access the Glossary (details, details...), and then test the game about a zillion times to see if I can fix the countless errors with the Nostoi section.

Actually, I may add a few variables to the game so I can remove some of the places where the Nostoi has to check the history array to see if something happened.  That way I can check the endings more easily with my test page.  Yeah, I think I'll do that first so I don't have to play all the way through over and over again.


Total time in November to date spent working on my projects:  27:08:31.27


No comments:

Post a Comment