Thursday, November 2, 2023

NotNaNo '23, Day 2: WTF just happened on my itch.io?

     Part of my usual daily routine is to pop into my itch.io account and see what's happening with it.

    (Speaking of wtf just happened, I just had my "w" key decide to malfunction and send "h" to the browser.  That was the weirdest thing in a minute.  But when I opened Word and tried it there, it was sending "w" as normal, and then when I returned to the browser, it was working again.  But that was really strange.  And alarming.  Decidedly alarming.  (How would I write if my "w" key wasn't working?  Especially when one of my characters has two "W"s in his name?!  (And many, many others have one "W" as well...))

    Annnyway, when I went into my dashboard yesterday, I was greeted by a very strange sight:


    Seems like yesterday (with some overlap into what itch.io considered the day before) someone accessed every single one of my games, ran the browser play on all the ones that had it, and downloaded one of everything.

    It's like...why?

    It just seems so inconceivable that anyone would randomly happen across my page and decide they wanted to play every single one of my games.  They're not exactly, uh, good.  Or unique.  Or even, you know, interesting.  But someone did access, run and download everything.

    It's very weird.

    And maybe it's just my paranoid side, but it kinda feels creepy somehow?  Like are they planning something nefarious?  (I have no idea what, of course.  It's not like it would make sense for them to pirate the games, considering they're all free.  But I'm not sure what else they might have in mind.)

    Now, technically, there's no reason to assume that all of those were the same person.  And yet, given the fact that most of those games get zero attention, going months between page views (and even longer between downloads), the fact that every single one was accessed in a single day does suggest that one person did all of the accessing.

    I just don't know why, and that sort of weirds me out.


    Well, I just felt like posting that, because it was strange.  But it doesn't seem to have happened again today, so at least it's not another weird bot thing like what happened on this blog earlier.

    Anyhow, on to today's not-NaNoWriMo progress!

    Today I wrote 2,176 words,

    putting my total for the month up to 5,484,

    and the work as a whole up to 255,484.

    So, not as good as yesterday, but still doing pretty okay.  😀



No comments:

Post a Comment