Sunday, November 13, 2022

NaNo Rebel '22, Day 13: Off the rails

     Ugh.  On the one hand, I got more writing done today...unfortunately, 840 words of it were more plot descriptions for future fanfiction, so...that's no good.

    More importantly, I got to a big scene that's been part of the plot outline for a long time, where the main character gets drunk and starts gushing all over his love interest.  This was already a problem for me on the basic "I feel like at every turn my collaborator wants to introduce a new story element which was already a feature in MDZS (which my collaborator has neither watched nor read), so isn't it going to look like we're just copying?" level, not to mention on the perhaps even more important level of "I don't drink so how in the world am I going to write about a drunk character?"

    The scene was supposed to be cutely romantic, as the character was supposed to realize his feelings while getting drunk, and then go and act like a "silly ass" around his love interest, who is touched and amused because he's starting to feel the same way.

    What I ended up writing was the main character bitching to the waiter in the teahouse (there's no bartenders in that era, AFAIK) about what a tyrant his father is, then flying off (literally) to go gripe to his love interest in the same subject, with the added assertion that maybe he'd be happier staying with the love interest than going home to his tyrannical father.  (Which is a strange thing for the love interest to hear, since the main character claimed earlier to be an orphan.)

    The vibe is totally different from what it was supposed to be, and who knows if it's realistic for drunken behavior (though I'm pretty sure I've seen people behave that way in movies when they're drunk), and it just feels like practically everything I wrote today (in the VN script) is completely wrong and garbage that will have to be deleted.  😭


    So...yeah.  That's my day.


    Today's word count:   2,058

    Word count in November to date:  25,582

    (As predicted yesterday, broke 25k, a few days ahead of schedule.  More importantly, I'm about 2/3 of the way through the outline for the VN, so there's still hope I can finish the draft this month.)


EDIT:

    Well, craziness happens.

    I ended up starting another fanfic. 😅  Thankfully (?) I can't proceed any further on it until I've read the rest of the book, and I can't do that...well, technically I could do that at any time by way of WebNovel, but I'm determined not to turn to that until I've at least read the physical edition of Volume 4 next month.  (At that time I'm probably gonna go ahead and read the rest of MDZS via WebNovel...and after Volume 5 of Heaven Official's Blessing comes out, also next month, I'll probably read the rest of it that way, too, in order to avoid any more spoilers, 'cause damn.)

    Aaaaaanyway, I was really rocking that fanfic opening.  Added 3,978 words to my total!

    So, my new numbers are:

    Today's word count: 6,036

    Word count in November to date: 29,560

    (Great for reaching 50k.  Not so great for finishing the VN script.)

No comments:

Post a Comment