Sunday, September 25, 2022

WTF, Etsy?

     Etsy really needs to improve its algorithm for recommendations.

    When you navigate to the main page, it shows you a handful of recommended items and searches based on your recent activity, right?

    So, here's my recent activity:


    And yeah, that's representative of what I've been looking at lately, on account of being mildly obsessed. 😅  I mean, there's also been some miniatures--partly to go in the miniature rooms I'm trying to get finished up, and partly to be accessories to go with the Nendoroid dolls of these two characters--and some doll clothes (also for the Nendoroid dolls), but mostly it's just been MDZS merch.  Because, you know, obsession.

    Here's what it showed me today on the front page as the recommended items at the top:


    As I said in the title of the post:  "WTF, Etsy?"

    Seriously, I have never in my life purchased a print of a disgustingly over-breasted woman, not from Etsy or anywhere else.  Nor have I ever purchased anything on Etsy that was sexualizing women at all!  On top of which, almost everything I've been browsing lately has been female-gaze merchandise of a female-gaze-oriented gay romance.

    So what POSSIBLE excuse can their algorithm give for putting that nasty cow-bikini print on there?  I mean, okay, it would admittedly be funny to see how Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji would react to such a sight (the latter would definitely be horrified, and might attack her on the assumption that she was a demon), but...ugh.

    So gross.  Why do some people want to see drawings of women where each breast is as large as (or larger than) her head, anyway?

    I will never understand it.

    (I could also ask that Etsy provide a "don't show me this item again" slider to go with that print that's showing on the thumbnail to search for "the untamed," as I don't think it's right to sexualize a character being horribly beaten, but at least that's actually related to what I've been looking at.  And, actually, there might be such an option on there somewhere and I've just never figured out how to use it, now that I think about it.)

    (Speaking of the recommended search thumbnails, I find it mildly hilarious that the thumbnail for the "Mo Dao Zu Shi pin" search shows a pair of figurines, and that the "mdzs" search's thumbnail shows a mug which appears to have an illustration for Heaven Official's Blessing on it rather than one for Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation.  But as they're both by the same author (and goodness knows I'm definitely looking forward to the new volume of Heaven Official's Blessing that's due out on Tuesday with its steamy cover) that at least makes some degree of sense, unlike the bikini print.)

No comments:

Post a Comment