Wednesday, May 4, 2022

IWSG - Slow going


    I'm having trouble getting writing done lately.  Some days I just open the file, look at what I'm supposed to be writing, and just sort of go "meh" and close it again.  Maybe after re-reading some of what I've already written, and maybe not.

    Part of me wants to say "creative overwork" but it's like...I haven't done that much writing lately.  I did a whole mess of coding over February and March, but not much writing.  Maybe that's actually the problem, like my writing muscles have grown flabby from disuse?

    It's frustrating on a lot of different levels, no matter the reason.

    The programmer I worked with on an earlier game asked me to co-write a game they want to make, and I agreed, but on the condition that I finish the next draft of book 3 of my semi-YA series.  And the draft is going at a snail's pace.  Even though it's rewriting rather than writing.  It's annoying that I'm making someone else wait on their project because I can't get my butt in gear on my own.  But I worry about what will happen to the draft if I abandon it midway through to work on something else.  (Especially since my novel is Greek Heroic Age, and the game is Ancient China.  The gears that have to be shifted there are massive.  Esp. since I still have to do a lot more research before I can start working on the game.)  I feel like I'm letting them down by taking so long, and yet putting more pressure on getting the draft finished is only going to make it worse, surely.

    Or maybe not?  I usually did a pretty bang-up job of getting NaNoWriMo finished and overachieved...

1 comment:

  1. Hm. Maybe abandoning your WIP for the game project will make you want to write it. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that. Only you can be the judge of whether to hold yourself to your original terms, but if it's not working anyway...

    ReplyDelete