Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Plugging along on NaNo 2021

     Today I actually stopped to ask myself the question "will I finish the novel at the rate I'm going?"

    And unfortunately the answer was "well, maybe, but only barely."

    Because I'd gotten down to the habit of only doing one scene per day, in order to maximize my time with Shin Megami Tensei V.  Because priorities.

    But with the number of scenes I have left in the main novel--plus the "bedtime stories" that are to be woven in between some of the chapters as some background on the villains--I was only just barely going to finish on time, and that's only if I do all the "bedtime stories" in one day, despite being half a dozen scenes long.  (Though they're all very short scenes; the file with the "bedtime stories" in it is only about 5k words.)

    So, given that it was looking a bit tight, I decided to push on through and do two scenes this morning instead of just one.  Which barely shows in my word count, because the second one was actually really short scene.  😓  Of course, as I was going through it I found myself thinking "wait, is there a way I could make some of this info-dump of Ariadne's thoughts a bit more active?"  To which the answer is "probably," but that would require so much more rewriting than I have time for right now.  *sigh*  (Or rather it would require me to sit down and rethink how I want to handle the narrative process, and probably to rewrite everything up to this point in order to accommodate the new process.)

    Which may mean that even this isn't going to be the final(ish) draft and there will have to be another one before it can be deemed suitable for public consumption.  Or it may be that I'll leave all that further rewriting for another day--or another medium--and just move on.

    Because I may have found a way to get this done as a visual/kinetic novel after all, but I'll have to wait and see how (if) the graphical format I have in mind is received by an audience.

    Anyway!  Yesterday's total word count was 70,317.

    Today's total word count is 74,927...

    So that means I wrote 4,610 words today, which is honestly even worse than I thought.  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment