Monday, November 8, 2021

NaNo Rebel Day 8; Clash of the Titans

     Nope, no titans in what I wrote today:  I watched Clash of the Titans.  (Which also doesn't contain any actual titans, lol.)  :D  Because recently Big Bad Toy Store listed a pre-order for a life-size Bubo model (which I so want and so can't have because it's almost $300), the listing for which made me realize that the movie came out in 1981, and thus is 40 years old this year.  So, in order to celebrate that anniversary, I decided it was high time that I rewatched it.

    Unfortunately, I made the mistake of seeing if my parents and my brother wanted to watch it with me.  And my mother was...um...not quiet.  And not in a good way. D:  (And I don't know what her problem with Harry Hamlin is...)

    Still, I can't help loving the movie, despite how crazy some of its uses of mythology are.  And I entertained myself with a game of mentally dating the various archaeological finds they reproduced in the set design.  The art spanned about 3000 years, give or take about five hundred years.  ;)

    Most amusing, pretty much none of it was the right period.  Though there's not a whole lot for that period; Perseus is the legendary founder of Mycenae (post-rescuing Andromeda, lol), so a period- and culture-appropriate work would be pretty much anything found in Grave Circles A and B from the famous excavation at Mycenae.  (Y'know, like the hilariously misnamed "funeral mask of Agamemnon.")


    Aaaaaanyway, in addition to watching the movie and doing today's writing, I also worked on a possible form of creating character art for game versions of these novels.  It's just a test, but I've done a 3D/2D render based on a Mycenaean fresco:


    I feel like it might work, except that the lips need...like...everything.  The fresco didn't really do much to delineate the lips (obviously, they didn't go in for lipstick in the Late Bronze Age!) so I was sort of floundering as to how to show them.  They didn't show an iris on the eye, either, so I just sort of had to wing it to give her one.  (It's gray because one of my heroines has gray eyes.)

    I'm not sure I'll do much with it--it would be better to have a full 3D render, but I think that's gonna be outside my abilities--but it's still kind of exciting as a first attempt.  :)

    Yesterday's word count: 29,991
    Today's total word count:  33,740
    Words written today:  3,749
    Included in today's writing was the conclusion of the original draft's Chapter Four, which clocks in at 8,472 in the new version and was 7,797 in the previous draft, continuing the trend of me keeping on finding things I needed to explain in earlier drafts and explaining them now.  At least, that's mostly why it keeps getting longer.  There's also having a better understanding of the terrain, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment