Thursday, November 5, 2020

Not-Nano Day 5: Steadily Climbing...

Actually, I didn't do much writing today.  I spent my roughly 2 and a quarter hours working on coding, mostly.  Largely in bashing my head against the brick wall that was me trying to figure out how in the blue blazes to force TWINE to let me get rid of my pretty text box for one passage so I could have a full-screen title splash.  (It would help if I had any understanding of CSS rather than merely adapting a template a helpful individual posted on itch.io, of course...)

But the good news is that I did eventually figure out how to do it.  (It helped when I finally noticed that "~=" is CSS for "=" not for "does not equal".  That sped things up enormously.)

I also remembered to go back into my glossary and add in an explanation of why I describe Achilles as having red hair, which is rather unexpected since a) he's described as a blond in the Iliad, and b) most ethnically Greek people tend to have dark hair.  (Of course, with his descent from an ocean goddess and his linguistically non-Greek name, there's not really too much reason to think he's ethnically Greek...)

Oh, and thanks to a suggestion from someone on itch.io, the escape game now has a name!  Yay! :D  I even found a way to express the name in Ancient Greek for the title screen. :)

I also prepared all but one of the images I'm going to use, thanks to my old computer still having an ancient copy of Photoshop on it.  (The new graphics programs have been made impossible to use, having way too many buttons and way too little text to tell you what the *#@&$*T%& the buttons do.  When I got this new computer up and running, I downloaded the latest version of GIMP, but I can't use it for much more than changing image sizes, because they've made its functions too obscure.)  I needed one more change of time image, though, and I've downloaded the base image for that, so I'll be able to get that done tomorrow.

I'm going two routes for the images.  One route is genuine ancient art (well, some of the Mycenaean frescoes are very heavily reconstructed, but...they're as close as we can get to genuine at present) and the other is graphically manipulated photographs of locations on Lesbos (where the game takes place) to make them kinda-sorta look a little bit like frescoes, maybe.  (All the images are from Wikimedia Commons, of course, and I'm going to have a credits page in the game crediting the people who took the photos and there will be links to the download pages, too.)  The "Photoshopped photograph" is not the most professional of looks for game graphics, needless to say, but as this is a free game I'm uploading for a game jam, I'm hoping people will forgive that. ;)  The hardest part was that one of the photos I wanted to use had a modern road smack dab in the middle of the picture.  Fortunately, it also had a tall tree in the foreground...so now it has two tall trees in the foreground. :P

Tomorrow I'll finish up that last image, and then I'll probably do a little work on the glossary for the earlier game before I switch back to this computer and keep coding.  (It may sound absurd to have two working computers, but the thing is that my "good" laptop, the one I use for writing, is at this point so old that I'm not sure when I got it.  (I know for sure I already had it in 2008, but I don't remember for how long.)  It's lasted so long because it never, ever touches the Internet, and I'm going to keep it that way.  So while I probably paid more for this new computer I'm writing on now, it's still not my "good" computer.  Heck, this one still has all the paint on its keys!  And they're not all shiny from having been pressed a zillion times, either.  What kind of proper computer keyboard still has all the letters visible, and the keys aren't smooth and sweet to touch?  No kind at all!)

Time spent working on my projects in November to date: 10:30:51.17

No comments:

Post a Comment