Sunday, November 29, 2020

Not-NaNo Day 29: Oh boy...

 *cough*

Wow.  I skipped from day 25 to day 29.

Admittedly, due to the holiday, I ended up not writing at all on the 26th, and I'm not so sure I wrote on the 27th, either.  In fact, I'm pretty sure I didn't?  No, wait, I must have?

Ugh.  Something's just gone wrong with me on this.

(Although, let's be honest, I miss the nice keep-track-of-it-for-you angle of the official NaNo site.  Y'know, before they butchered it.)

I just haven't been able to do much the last few days.

Part of it was the holiday, part of it was panic over my basement door (the new guy who came to look at it promised to send an estimate on Tuesday...you know, after four nights of below freezing temperatures), and part of it was general problems that are plaguing me in everything (mostly to do with my weight issues, ultimately), and part of it was distraction by having gotten addicted to a particularly time-sucking video game, but there's definitely something else going wrong, too.

I think maybe part of it is because this rewrite puts me in a weird place, and not because I'm trying to change a novel into interactive fiction.  The problem is that some scenes I am keeping all but unchanged, other scenes I'm keeping with modifications, and other scenes are being entirely discarded for new ones.  Just when I'll get into the groove of writing something new, I end up having to change to merely modify a different scene, or copy another whole-cloth.  It's very disruptive to my rhythm.

But I think it's also because I'm starting to really need to work again.

And I don't mean "work on my novel" work.  I mean, I need a job again.

Which is a problem, considering that my old job (which it was implied I might be allowed to resume when the museum's finances allow them to start hiring people again) will at this rate not be available again until sometime late in 2022...maybe.

And with my minimal employment history, I'm not really qualified for...well, for anything really, but particularly not for anything unrelated to my previous career.  Because yeah, my MA is not in historic preservation or anything closely related to it, but I do have the experience of five years employment in a position that eventually grew the title curator/registrar (without its functions significantly changing, meaning I was doing that job all along, just without the name), plus five further years before that as a volunteer doing basically the same thing.  That experience might be enough to get another museum to hire me (if they don't mind my broken social skills), but with the pandemic, no museums are open, and therefore cannot possibly be hiring right now.  So getting a job outside the house is currently off the table.

And yet a job outside the house is, I think, exactly what I need right now.  In general, and in order to help me focus on my writing.

It's a problem, one without any solution I can see.  (Without any solution that does not involve magic and/or time travel, anyway.  Or benevolent aliens.  Or rifts to other dimensions.  Basically, anything sci-fi or fantasy.)

Ack.  This went sideways into crazytown.

Sorry.

Anyway, on Friday I did manage to get about two hours writing done.  And then yesterday I managed about five minutes. :(  I mean, I did spend longer than than that reading over what I'd done to remind myself of where I was and what was going on, etc, but I'm not counting that time.

Thankfully, I had long since decided (though I'm not sure I ever officially said so on the blog) to reduce my hour count goal from 60 to 45, so I'm still good as long as I can manage to get some writing done today or tomorrow.

Which will probably be tomorrow, because I've set today aside to check my email, which can take all day if it's been too long since I last checked it (I think it's only been about a week this time, so hopefully it won't be too bad, esp. since the election is over...though I do keep getting email about sending financial support to the two Senate run-off elections in Georgia...), plus I am determined to actually get some proofreading done today, because the last three days I've opened the file, looked at the next paragraph and just kind of noped out of there for the day.  Which is not cool.  Not cool and not professional.  (And it's not like the paragraph was any worse than some of the ones I'd already done.  In fact, it wasn't as bad.  I've just been incredibly tired lately, and that makes me unwilling to face challenges like working or cleaning my house.  (Oh god, does my house need cleaning!  I need a magic wand and/or a robotic maid...)

My time as of Friday was 44:26:22.67

My time in November to date as of this morning is 44:32:19.86

No comments:

Post a Comment