Friday, August 7, 2026

Reading record 23.7(ish)

 Just finished reading the next artbook in the stack, Strange & Eerie Cryptid Creatures by Jessica Feinberg and Daniel Faccio.

I've been supporting Jessica Feinberg's Kickstarters for I don't know how many years now--I have so many oracle decks with her art on them at this point!  Anyway, this was her most recent oracle deck/artbook combo.

The format of the book is pretty standard:  each painting gets an entry with various information about the depicted creature.  Which in this case was cryptids, though in some cases I felt like the chosen being was definitely on the other side of the fuzzy line between cryptid and folklore.  (Things like the barghest, cu-sith, and kappa, for example.)  Despite obvious effort to make it as worldwide as possible, certain regions were under-represented (Asia) and others over-represented (the US, especially West Virginia for some reason), but I think that's because that's just how it is:  there's no way for an artist to change what people all over the world are seeing and thinking they've seen, ya know?

Anyway, significantly more text (and more pages, for that matter!) than the previous artbook, but less than the next one. (I chose this particular decimal point number for it because in a few weeks the next volume of a printed web comic is being released, so that will round it back up to even numbers. 😅)


Original language:  English

No comments:

Post a Comment