Wednesday, September 20, 2023

The Weird Way My Brain Works

     Normally, I'd be finishing up my writing day about now (just after dinner, that is), or would have finished it a few hours ago, depending on when my enthusiasm/momentum/procrastination petered out.  Today, I haven't quite started yet, because when I finished up yesterday (not long after lunch), it was with the depressing realization that I didn't actually know what happened next.

    I mean, I knew what had to happen:  the characters are embroiled in a war, which will be over as soon as they assault the enemy's capital, but before that they had to defeat another town, and my plans had not included any mention of just how they were going to do so, or even what, precisely, that entailed, as this is a war between cultivation clans, so they do not, technically, own or in any other way control the land they're fighting over.  (It doesn't make any sense to me, either.  This may be a genre thing that I'm too ill-versed in the genre and setting to understand.)

    So today I was just like "eh, I'll give my mind a break and just play games all day."  (Sole advantage of being unemployed...)  Yesterday I had taken a few notes in my "Continuing the current fic" file on Google Docs (which I use for jotting down notes and just writing extensions to wherever I happen to be in whatever I'm working on), and shortly before dinner I was looking over them, and then adding to them, just sort of brainstorming in text form.

    I wanted to share that, because I find it kind of funny that this broken process is coming from an allegedly functional brain.  (Rather than copy-paste the text, I decided to use a screen-shot.  Because.  It is unedited except that I blurred out the swear words because I don't like to swear on my blog for some reason.  But I did not go in and fix the grammar, punctuation, or the fact that I don't typically bother with capital letters in this sort of brainstorming session.)


        I suppose it's basically the same kind of process that idea bouncing involves, only there isn't a second person involved so I'm just bouncing the ideas off myself? 😅


    So, yeah.  My brain is a demented place, but at least I know how to get my fanfic through this last bump in the road of the Sunshot Campaign so that I can finally get to the political drama on the other side. 🤔  Since getting into writing MDZS fanfic, I've been writing about so many things I would normally avoid like the plague...  😰

    (BTW, word count on this monster fic will hit 180k today.  I shudder to think how long it's going to be in the end.)

No comments:

Post a Comment