Tuesday, November 1, 2022

NaNo Rebel '22, Day 1: The Saga Starts to Begin Again (Or Something)

     Sooooo....it's November.

    And the NaNoWriMo site still thinks that its randomly assigned cover art is more deserving of attention on our past writing projects than our words, so I am doing what I've done every year since they destroyed their own website, and officially participating only in an unofficial way.

    Which is to say, I'm just gonna write 50,000+ words in November and use my blog to keep track of how many words I've written, and there's absolutely nothing that NaNoWriMo can do to stop me, so there! 😛

    (Why is there no emoji of the Hitchhiker's Guide planet?  I totally needed one of those right there...)


    Anyhoo, since I'm bein' a rebel and all, I'm going all-out on my evil scheme, and writing something that (gasp!) isn't a novel, and which I already started, and I am even (brace yourselves!) working on more than one project!!


    Yes, you heard me right.

    For this month of November, I am officially evil incarnate as far as NaNoWriMo goes.



    Uh, okay...

    ...so that's sorta an exaggeration.

    I mean, it's not like I'm plagiarizing or anything.  Or lying about my word count.  Or writing anything, you know, evil.  (Though there are some evil characters, if that counts?)  One of the projects is fan-fictions, though, so that's sorta evil...only NaNo actually has a whole category for that, so not particularly, I guess.


    Anyway, two projects at the start of this year's NaNo rebel exercise, which may spread to three or more after I finish one of them.  (Ideally, I'll finish both, but...not gonna count on that.)

    The main project is the script for the still-untitled visual novel I'm co-writing.  It's set in ancient China and doesn't particularly feature any branching in the new version (technically, it's more like a prequel to the previously planned game, but in such a way as to prevent several aspects of the old plan when we finally get to that point, thus making it much simpler both to write and code), but does feature a sweet romance between a son of the Jade Emperor and the nephew of a Daoist philosopher.  Also some ghost-fighting.  :D

    The secondary project is a 1980s AU fan-fiction of The Untamed, which I had watched for research purposes to help me get acquainted with the ancient China setting, and now I'm totally obsessed with. 💖  The fan-fiction is set in the 1980s (and in New York's Chinatown) partially because that made it so much easier for me to write, and partially because that's a setting where it's easy to tell all sorts of stories with no one dying.  (Not to say you can't write a story in that setting where loads of people die, 'cause obviously you can.  But it's much easier to avoid than in the original's magical ancient setting.)

    I got off to a late writing start today because I had errands to run this morning (grocery shopping and a super-important trip to the bookstore to pick up the final volume of The Scum Villain's Self-Saving System), but I still managed to eke out a tolerable first day total of 1,791 words, of which 1,262 were on the VN script and the other 529 were fan-fiction.  I will probably finish the latter pretty soon, 'cause I'm on the last scene already. XD


    Anyway, I had a pretty quiet Halloween.  (I just feel like sharing this info.)  I followed my usual procedure of fleeing my house long before any trick-or-treaters might end up in the neighborhood.  (Look, I have serious social phobia issues.  And I can't handle kids, 'cause I can't even understand what they're saying half the time, and then I'd have to talk and say things and like compliment their costumes but without accidentally saying anything creepy?  Gives me the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it!)  As usual, went to my parents' house for dinner and to watch a vaguely Halloween-related movie.  Then, on returning home, I decided to round out the evening by revisiting the Yi City arc of The Untamed...which would have been a lot easier if its episodes had been more neatly contained:  there's two episodes' worth of content there, but instead of two episodes, it's the last fifteen minutes of one episode, all of the next, and the first half hour of a third.  Very awkward.  (And of course I had to watch all of that first episode, because it contained the big "drunk Lan Wangji" sequence, in which he steals chickens as an utterly unexplained love gift for the very, very, very confused Wei Wuxian. 💕💗💕 I love that moment so much!  (Especially as a Greek mythology fangirl, 'cause roosters were the primary courtship gift men gave to youths they were courting.  And the show actively calls attention to the fact that they're roosters.))

My Nendoroid Doll rendition of the "get drunk and steal a chicken" scene :D

    That probably sounds like a strange thing to watch, but that arc has lots of very Halloween-appropriate things:  walking corpses (of both the intelligent and brainless variety), super-creepy paper effigies (which in the book the hero brought to life to fight the walking corpses, but the show kinda skipped over that, which makes sense considering how hard that would be to do well), a regular corpse, and kinda a ghost sort of?  (There's one character who's a ghost in the book, but in the show is...either an intelligent walking corpse or just an infected live person.  It's not totally clear which...)  Admittedly, the brainless walking corpses have a much bigger role in some other parts of the show--and had a bigger role in the Yi City arc in the book--but I guess they sort of cut a few corners on it because it was much less relevant to the overall plot?  (And yet, you'd think they wouldn't have wanted to cut corners on it, given how they cast someone extra-sexy as that arc's villain.)

    But I'm totally off topic now, so I guess I'll stop. XD

No comments:

Post a Comment