Monday, November 29, 2021

Phew. Glad November's almost over.

     It's been an interesting few days.

    (And I'm sorry to say I've spent too much at all the online sales...though at least two of the biggest purchases were actually necessary clothing items that I'd merely held off on buying until they were on sale, because saving money.)

    So, didn't post yesterday, but I did write!

    As of the 27th, my total written for the month was 114,827 words.

    On the 28th, I added another 1,430 words (ugh, below NaNo par!) for a total of 116,257.

    And today I wrote 3,120 words, making the month's total 119,377.

    Today felt like something of an accomplishment, though, because I successfully completed one route through Chapter One.  (Each decision the player makes creates a new branch through the chapter, and no branches ever join back up again, so there are a lot of dead ends (many literally so), and the amount of extra writing is crazy.  But it's an interesting experiment in controlling information flow, since players will necessarily have to see various of the failure branches as well as the success branches (unless they decide to stop playing before getting to the end), so I don't want there to be too much information that they learn repeatedly...but I can't guarantee that any player will want to see the different successful paths through each chapter (the Prologue had two, Chapter One will have at least three), so I have to make sure each successful path contains the same basic information, so I don't have to worry about if the players know something once the paths finally join up again at the start of the next chapter.

    I doubt I'll ever do it this way again, but it is, as I said, an interesting experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment