So, last night I finished Men at Arms by Terry Pratchett, the second of the City Watch sub-series of Discworld novels.
And I don't really have much to say? Because, like, it's Discworld. There's no need to say much more than that. Solid works of fantasy-comedy, the whole series. (Well, okay, I've heard there are a few outliers that aren't as good, but this isn't one of them.)
There was a bit at the end that I loved which (despite being at the end) I can share (possibly in paraphrase, because the book is in the other room so I can't check if the phrasing in my mind is the correct phrasing) because it's not actually connected to the plot. After seeing something Carrot has written, Vimes reflects on some of the quirks of his writing style, namely his inability to put "i" before "e" and his "cruelty to the common comma" by putting commas in weird places where they absolutely don't belong. I would call Carrot's abuse of commas "unique" (and it was probably intended to be unique) only if Carrot was truly the only one who ever used a comma that way, then much of the Internet is apparently Carrot. 😅
Anyway, rather than going straight on to book three, I'll be waiting until I can hit a bookstore today to pick up the new volume of Legend of Exorcism, because tomorrow I have a doctor's appointment, and a nice paperback is much easier to read in a waiting room than a massive, three novel hardback. (Also, I like the idea of being the middle-aged woman proudly reading danmei in a public place.) Plus the larger print is easier to read in the less ideal conditions of the waiting room environment.
Original language: English
No comments:
Post a Comment